Friday, April 23, 2010

TV REVIEW: GLEE: The Power of Madonna

I have a confession to make. 
 

I AM A GLEEK. 
 

I must admit I jumped in on the bandwagon later than when it first came out. I was like, “Glee? Like a High School Musical Series?” I mean, don’t get me wrong. I LOVE the High School Musical series. Troy and Gabriella are so cute together and it really helps when you know that the actors playing these characters are together in real life too. 
Probably everyone was 6 episodes in whereas I was just starting with episode 1, finally deciding to give in to peer pressure. 
 

Good thing I did. And I never looked back since. 
 

And since this is my first review ever of any GLEE episodes, I must ask for a little leeway here in case some die-hard fans (sort of like myself) disagree and think I’m being way too hateful. 
 

WARNING: This blog post may contain spoilers for those who haven’t heard of GLEE or are still stuck in the first 13 episodes. 
 

EPISODE TITLE: The Power of Madonna
US Air Date: April 20, 2010
Philippine Air Date: April 21, 2010 
 

THE GIST: Well, it’s basically a tribute to Madonna songs. Some songs were played in the background while some songs were sung by the Glee cast. It was a pretty good episode, singing-wise. In terms of choreography, the most technical and difficult part to rehearse/perform might have been the Cheerios scene while they were practicing with Sue Sylvester at the helm. Performing on stilts is hard enough but performing with twirling another person is really difficult. 
 

The episode peaks (no pun intended) on the sexual (mis)adventures of the cast – Rachel and Jessie, Santana and Finn for the students and Emma and William for the adults. They were singing Madonna’s Like A Virgin since half of the aforementioned partners are, well, virgins. Oh, Santana gets a solo line in the song and she has some singing chops! Kudos to Naya! 
 

Just a comment though. While I really liked the episode, I can’t help but hope that the show won’t sell out and just base storylines on tributes/songs. I think it should be the other way around with the songs based on storylines. Storylines come first, songs later. 
 

And rumor is, they’re doing a sequel of the Madonna tribute with the success of this episode. I personally am against that. 
 

But that’s just me. 


Download the Director's Cut of the Pilot Episode of Glee.


Order the first 13 episodes called GLEE: The Road to Sectionals


Check out GLEE music here, Volume 1 and Volume 2

No comments:

Post a Comment