Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I Miss My UPLB life

I had no responsibility other than to pass my subjects.

UPLB's environment is so laid back and relaxed. I remember everything was affordable. My allowance always went to requirements and booze and food.

My best years were my junior and senior years. I had a boyfriend who loved me very much, I had a great set of friends and I had more freedom. My landlady had died and soon after, my dorm wasn’t so strict with the rules anymore. I came and went as I pleased. I lived in my boyfriend’s apartment and would only come home to the dorm if or when we had a fight.

I suppose this was when my “alcoholism” started. But don’t take me seriously. I’m a social drinker and I only allow myself to get drunk if and only if I’m comfortable with the people I drink with. Besides, getting drunk then wasn’t a problem. Boyfriend would come pick me up wherever I was to bring me home. But I would usually be drunk at boyfriend’s place since our common friends would meet at his place.

I miss college life because I felt like I had money even if I didn’t have money. Everything was damn affordable.

I miss college life because I got to choose what time my day would start each semester. I was always cancelling classes that would start at 7 or 8 am and would always opt for classes that started at 9 am at the earliest. Back then, I didn’t have the realities of life that I have now. I didn’t have responsibilities. I could skip classes and sleep if I didn’t feel like going to class as long as I knew I could still pass the class and I hadn’t used up the maximum days for absences. I could show up to class drunk, smelling like a chico and no one would care. Try that in the office and see if you won’t get talked about behind your back. Try skipping a day of work and you end up with more work when you get back.

My last sem consisted of three subjects and I had classes twice a week only. I remember my friends and I would start drinking after lunch on either a Tuesday or a Wednesday and then again on a Thursday or whenever we felt like it.

Sigh. College was so much fun. I wish I could go back to college with my friends.

I definitely would trade my stressful work days for stressful thesis or exams weeks. Gladly. I would trade in my car for long walks with friends. I would give up my OT time and pay for time to eat proven and/or isaw with friends over at the Raymundo gate. I miss having Doner Durum for breakfast, Ihaw Express for lunch and that sweet little tapsilog place near Ihaw Express that we used to call “Hell’s Kitchen” for dinner.

This is probably not making sense to most people. But my rant is over.

I miss UPLB life.

 

 

2 comments:

  1. this is just like what happened to me. I definitely miss college.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi. i'm currently a UP student and I enjoy my college life so much. i know what it's like to go to class 'drunk' haha.
    although i'm eager to start building my career, i'm anxious to leave UPLB life. i know someday i would rant like you about missing college. haha...

    good day! pls do check this out if you have time, a lil something of our beloved school:
    http://justmylittleantics.blogspot.com/2012/05/what-to-see-in-uplb-day-version.html

    ReplyDelete