Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Toughest Place To Be…

Manila, Philippines.

It can be tough to be here, especially when you’re poor. But then again, it’s tough to be anywhere especially when you’re poor.

So when I saw Jim Paredes tweet about this show, I had to check it out.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Thoughts:

There were funny parts. It’s very funny to me when foreigners are so amazed/stressed at something that’s become so ordinary to Filipinos, i.e., the traffic and the “crazy drivers”. I think foreigners (especially the ones who come from first world countries) are so sheltered that they don’t know anything else.

Anyway, this was an eye opener for me too. Made me thankful for the blessings I get and how and where I was born. Josh West told Rogelio that if he were born here in the Philippines, he’d probably end up in a situation similar to Rogelio, working 12 hours a day, 6 days a week and still poor.

But as you can see, Rogelio and his family are a resilient bunch of people, like most Filipinos are. Pinoys, well most Pinoys make do of what we have. We’re mostly eternally hopeful people. We’re hardworking. Honest. Welcoming. Adaptive. Resilient. Tough.

We have to be tough in order to survive this tough world.

I was happy about Josh’s experience. He got to be a little more aware of the world. He better be damn thankful for what he has. And by the way, he does have a good heart. In the last bit, the narrator mentioned something about Josh organizing a run with proceeds going to Rogelio and his family.

To Josh West: great job on the jeep, man. I’m so proud of you.  

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment