Sunday, August 21, 2011

Something Borrowed, Something Blue

I spent a few days and a weekend with Emily Griffin’s “Something Borrowed” and “Something Blue”. What made me read these books? I had just finished watching “Something Borrowed”, a movie that came out earlier this year.

As what it usually is, the book is better than the movie. No surprise there. The movie did have some nice quirks to it but not enough to compare it to the book. The book was well-written but had some dragging moments. Despite these dragging moments the book, it was infinitely more entertaining than the movie. I wish the movie was more faithful to the book. Now that I think about it, I hardly recognize the book after seeing the movie. Ethan wasn’t supposed to be that prominent of a figure in the movie. He wasn’t in love with Rachel at all. Claire wasn’t this crazy girl who was in love with Ethan. Somehow, Dex and Marcus wasn’t as annoying in the book. Darcy was likable in the movie but very annoying in the book. The confrontation scene was all wrong too. It might’ve been way better if they stuck with the book version.

The movie version keeps all the significant moments intact but I wish the scriptwriters found the perfect balance between movie writing and the book.

“Something Blue” for me is far more entertaining than Something Borrowed. I actually chuckled at one point. This is the book where Darcy realizes she’s been shallow and where she begins to mature and actually know what love is. Something Borrowed created the perfect back story for Something Blue. It’s definitely a better read. Funnier. More heartwarming. Ingredients to the perfect chick-lit.

My recommendation: Read the book, then watch the film and then read Something Blue.

Here’s the trailer for Something Borrowed, out on DVD since August 16, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment