Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Tudors

Before starting this blog, I’ve already watched The Tudors Seasons 1 – 3. Sexy, sometimes funny, always intriguing and fascinating. I’ve become interested enough and read enough articles about the Tudors. Since the show “The Tudors” is TV drama, some liberties have been taken and some parts are historically inaccurate. Some parts are historically accurate and I think that’s what’s keeping me watching.

I’m done watching the first two episodes of Season 4. Here’s where Katherine Howard is Queen and the fifth wife of Henry. I find her to be fun-loving, immature, lacking of poise and grace befitting a queen. She is immature and is most hated by Lady Mary, Henry’s daughter from his first wife, Queen Catherine of Aragon.

I’m excited to see how the story plays out. So far, my favorite queens are:

  • Queen Anne Boleyn – smart and cunning.
  • Queen Jane Seymour – kindhearted

And I’m beginning to share Lady Mary’s sentiments about Queen Katherine. I’m becoming annoyed and I wonder what did Henry see in this immature woman?

Anyway, “The Tudors” is a must-see TV series for anyone who is interested in historical drama, like me. :)

Sometimes I wish they’d continue on to tackle the drama and the issues during Queen Mary’s time and the time during Queen Elizabeth I. I think that would be interesting since they’re still part of the Tudors. But I guess it’s not as intriguing as the life of Henry VIII and his six wives.

A year ago, I saw something interesting about how to remember the six wives of Henry and their respective fates. I don’t remember exactly how it goes but I think it was like:

Divorced – Beheaded – Died – Divorced – Beheaded – Survived.

Queen Katherine of Aragon was divorced by King Henry.

Queen Anne was beheaded because King Henry accused her of witchcraft.

Queen Jane died from childbirth. Henry claimed to love her the most and viewed her to be his true queen for being the only queen to give him a son.

Queen Anne of Cleves was criticized by King Henry for looking like a horse but loved her as his sister. He divorced her to marry Katherine Howard.

Queen Katherine had an affair and was beheaded.

Queen Catherine Parr nursed King Henry and was the only queen to survive him.

Interesting, isn’t it?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment