Monday, August 9, 2010

Getting Sucked into the World of Vampires

What is it with all things vampiric? Ever since Stephenie Meyer let loose Edward, Bella and Jacob, we’ve become vampire-crazy. Yes, “we”, including me.

I’m not really into it. I found the Twilight series mildly entertaining. And since I’m such a sucker (yes, pun intended) for a series, I’ve bit into (sorry, I can’t help it) the whole thing, books and movies. And while I don’t really enjoy the whole franchise of Twilight, I find myself wanting more only because I have a compulsion to finish what I started. But I, for one, refuse to indulge into other vampire novels and movies. Except for The Vampire Diaries. And I blame my friend Angelo for getting me into it.

I don’t get what the fuss is about. It’s basically all the same thing. Twilight, True Blood and The Vampire Diaries all share things in common, namely:

  • A big, pathetic love story, usually a love triangle
  • Vampires in love with humans
  • Werewolves
  • Witches – oh wait, Twilight didn’t have them. I wonder why?

I’ve watched a couple of episodes of True Blood. I didn’t like it. What is the deal with the retractable fangs??

I recently spent 11 hours consecutively, from 3 AM to 2 PM, (effectively wasting my Monday morning. Good thing I didn’t have work and there were no commercial breaks) watching the remainder of Season 1 of The Vampire Diaries. And here’s my deal:

  • Why do the halls of Mystic Falls High are always, always dimly lit even if classes are on-going? That is not at all safe for everyone.
  • Why is it important for these small town folks to celebrate everything the Founding Families did? I get the 150th Anniversary celebration, but what about that dinner (the one where Stefan and Damon went to when it was held for the first time ever)? Why is this town so big on traditions?
  • I love the reference to Twilight. Yes, Stephenie, why do vampires have to sparkle? That was sort of genius for LJ Smith to make them day walkers.

I have to stop watching or reading things part of a series. I just won’t get enough. Well, at least for the first three or four years.

My favorite part of TVD? IAN SOMERHALDER. Those eyes! Man! I could not tell what color they were. They sometimes appear to be bluish-gray or greenish gray. Very compelling eyes. Like he doesn’t need to be a vampire in order to compel other women (though I highly doubt it’ll work on straight men). But actions and facial expressions seemed a little gay-ish. I wonder if he is gay. I hope not. If it weren’t for him, I would’ve stopped watching the series after 3 hours.

So here’s a picture I got off the internet. You could just stare at his eyes all day.

ian-somerhalder

2 comments:

  1. boo. Vampire Diaries = Twilight made for TV

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes.

    pero Damon and Tyler are WAY hotter than Edward and Jacob. Ian (pictured above) kept me addicted to it. :)

    ReplyDelete