Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Last Interview Transcript

The following is an excerpt of the last interview with Rolando Mendoza. This English version of the transcript is of my own doing and is NOT the official version. So please forgive me if there any errors.

The original version can be found here. And here’s an interesting read by The Chair Wrecker.

And by the way, this will be the last blog entry I’ll be doing about the Quirino Grandstand Hostage Crisis.

Before posting the transcript, can I ask the following question:

  • Is Michael Rogano authorized to speak with the hostage taker? Because as far as I know, only the negotiator is allowed contact with the hostage taker. Or maybe I’m mistaken. Can someone correct me on this, please? Thanks!

The whole thing is a comedy of errors, except that it isn’t funny. At all. The police are to blame. The media definitely can’t get off easy. And I read in the Inquirer that the REAL SWAT were kept out of the loop. Read the story here. But I still place major blame on Gregorio Mendoza and most of all, I blame Rolando Mendoza.

To the former Rolando Mendoza: apparently, there are 3 policemen in your family. How come no one ever thought of getting a temporary restraining order? Have you ever consulted the Public Attorney’s Office? If not, why the hell not? I’m sorry but in my opinion, you did deserve to die for killing those innocent tourists. You shouldn’t have to result to violence. You may have been suicidal but you shouldn’t have to kill those tourists. I hate you with a passion. You brought shame, not only to your family, but also to your fellow countrymen. You risked our international relationships only for your guilty ass. I hate you with a passion. And I don’t even know you. I don’t care how you were once a top policeman, honorable and kind. Well, it seems this is a case of a good cop gone bad. You caused a lot of Filipino people to be fearful for their lives in China and Hong Kong. You caused them their jobs. Ang laki ng perwisyo na dinulot mo, you selfish, selfish prick.

Anyway, this is the last of the blog entries I’ll be doing on you and your shitty act in the search of justice.

I must warn you, this is a PRETTY LONG read. So get comfortable. Get some food while you’re at it.

-----------------------

MICHAEL ROGAS (MR): Captain Rolando Mendoza, good evening sir.

CAPT. ROLANDO MENDOZA (CRM): Good evening to you too, sir.

MR: This is Michael Rogas of RMN. You are the hostage taker, right?

CRM: That is right.

MR: At this time, what are your plans?

CRM: I have received good news about my demand. Someone called me earlier and said Vice Mayor is bringing what I have demanded for. He will be arriving anytime and we’ll see what he has brought with him.

MR: How many people are you taking hostage?

CRM: 15 Chinese nationals.

MR: When you receive what you have asked for, will you let them go?

CRM: No, not yet. I still demand that if their decision favors me and they say that they have committed a mistake…I worry about my security then.

MR: Yes sir. Ok, what else are you asking for aside from your case’s dismissal from the Ombudsman?

CRM: I want to see the NCRPO restoring me to full duty status and can be of back wages that they did not give me up to the time that I was still working…Sir, please hold. Vice Mayor has arrived.

MR: Would it be possible to not put the phone down? Can you please let us hear your conversation with Vice Mayor Isko Moreno?

CRM: The driver will hold the phone

(driver then holds the phone)

MR: Vice Mayor Moreno is now entering the hostage vicinity.

DRIVER: They brought the papers. They were received and now being read by Capt. Mendoza.

MR: Captain, can you please read to us on air the contents of the letter from the Ombudsman?

CRM:[sic] From the office of the Ombudsman; Police Insp. Rolando Mendoza, Manila Police District, UN Avenue, Manila

Dear Captain Rolando Mendoza,
As per our conversation this afternoon, I hereby confirm that I shall personally review in your simple reconsideration that you have filed in your case at the moment the record of the case at the lawyer whom that I have assigned to take the pre-slip in do case, I shall require him to tell haven’t the to whom record to the case. I hope you take my word for that, I thank you for understanding my position as I???...Understand your…This is garbage to me. This letter is garbage. This isn’t what I needed!

MR: So, what’s your plan now that the Ombudsman has not…

CRM: This is garbage to me! This is not what I need! What I need is their decision, reversing or not reversing. But I thank the effort of the mayor and the vice mayor. But I don’t need this letter, sir.

MR: What are your plans now? What do you want?

CRM: The letter does not contain anything! It says that there will be an investigation. If that’s the case, nothing will happen, sir. Nothing. Nothing will happen to me sir. If that’s what the letter says, it means the case is really dismissed. Nothing will happen.

MR: Captain, what are your plans now?

CRM: I will set an example, sir, move, leave, I don’t need that sir. The letter contains nothing…You’re a lawyer…The letter is nothing!

MR: Captain, wait. Calm down. What are your plans now that your demand has not been given? We’ll call the Ombudsman now.

CRM: Something bad will happen in this bus.

MR: Wait. Through RMN, what do you want them to know?

CRM: What I want is for them to take action. Take action. They should review now. The case has been sleeping for 9 months now. They should review now then decide today whether I’m dismissed or reversion of the dismissal order or whatsoever. That is what I want.

MR: Vice Mayor Isko Moreno was the one who gave you the papers, right?

CRM: No. It was Colonel Yebra, the negotiator.

MR: Who do you want to speak with, Captain Rolando Mendoza?

CRM: I want to talk to the arrogant people there in WTV, the ones who want to be arrogant, those are the kind that I want to talk to. The ones who want to be famous.

MR: We heard what seem like to be gunshots?

CRM: The gunshots, yes, they came from me. I fired a warning shot against the Colonel because they were lying to me. He said he returned my brother’s gun but he hasn’t. What truth will I get from him?

This situation will get worse if I don’t get what I want. I will shoot these people by the door if the negotiations don’t turn out well for me.

The Ombudsman said that they will review the case. What I want is that they bring the order now.

I fired shots because I discovered that Colonel Yebra is fooling me! He’s the negotiator, he shouldn’t be lying to me!

MR: Where is the letter they gave you?

CRM: I gave it back. I returned it. They wanted me to be peaceful…to be calm…but it is not that easy. I see a sniper. Tell him that he might not be able to shoot the person standing in front of the bus. You might also tell the sniper that he might not be able to shoot the people inside the bus. I can shoot the guy at the front of the bus easily. So tell the sniper to lower his gun.

MR: Okay, you are now being heard through RMN. The police hear you. Do you have anything to say to the snipers that you’re pertaining to?

CRM: If the snipers don’t leave, I’ll shoot the people near the door.

MR: Yes, sir. Erwin Tulfo, our colleague, is in your area. I know you’re able to hear him a while ago. Do you know Erwin Tulfo?

CRM: I know him personally. He’s from Manila.

MR: Captain Rolando Mendoza, do you want Erwin Tulfo to come see you right now?

CRM: As long as he stays by the bus window. I will not let any media person in at this time.

By the window, by the window.

MR: How are the hostage victims?

CRM: They’re watching live TV.

MR: Yes sir…through Erwin Tulfo who is listening right now, do you have anything for him to negotiate with?

CRM: I know him. I like him because he’s the enemy of the police. But I know that he’s really good with a gun and he might be bringing a gun with him (laughs).

MR: Okay, Captain. Do you have Filipino hostages? Can we talk to them?

CRM: The only Filipino here is the driver. I’ve released the other Filipinos. Here’s the driver. Talk to him.

MR: Alberto?

Driver: Yes!

MR: Do you have any message for the authorities, the government, the police and your family?

Driver: I hope they give what the Captain is asking for so that this can end already.

MR: Ok. You are being heard nationwide.

Driver: The TV is running here. We’re on Channel 7

MR: What are the others doing?

Driver: They’re sitting down.

MR: We’ve just finished the replay of what you read on the decision of the Ombudsman. It’s already quarter to 7 here in our station. What is your final decision?

CRM: Nothing. I see the SWAT coming. I see the SWAT coming here in the vicinity. I know they’re going to kill me. They should leave because I can do the same here anytime.

MR: Ah, Erwin, are you still not allowed to come near the bus? That’s what he is asking for.

Erwin Tulfo: No, I’m not being allowed near the bus. I don’t understand. I’m ready to go to the bus. I feel sympathetic towards our colleagues. We’re wet from the rain.

MR: Actually, one hour. It’s almost one hour that we have Captain Rolando Mendoza..Ok Erwin. It’s you who seems really eager to talk to Rolando Mendoza.

Erwin Tulfo: I was about to approach the bus but the ground commander would not let me leave where I am here near the right side of the Quirino Grandstand. Actually Michael, if I were to walk the distance, I’d say this is about 50 meters from the bus.

…Captain Rolando Mendoza has come back on the phone.

MR: Captain Rolando Mendoza, can you please name the people you want to talk to?

Do you have any message for the families of your hostages, Captain Rolando Mendoza?

CRM: This situation will worsen if they do not do what I asked. As I said earlier, I’ll shoot the people near the door of the bus if things don’t go well.

Ok, sir. It seems that nothing is really happening after a long time. Please tell them that no good enough negotiator came here and I just might kill everyone here.

MR: Ok sir, do you want to talk to your brother, SPO2 Gregorio Mendoza?

CRM: No. I don’t want to talk to my family. I just might have a break down and cry. They won’t say anything else to me except to plead with me to just surrender. And I will not surrender until the Ombudsman changes her decision.

Erwin Tulfo: Captain Rolando Mendoza, I will be coming near the bus. I have a white shirt on and I will be coming from the right side of the bus.

CRM: You want to come inside? I’ll handcuff you once you’re inside.

Erwin Tulfo: Let’s talk outside.

CRM: I’ll let you in but I’ll have to clear you first (from a gun) then afterwards. You may have a camera person with you but I want the focus on you. I will let you go and will not take you as a hostage.

I can see the situation. Why are they treating my brother that way? He has nothing to do with this. If that doesn’t change, I will kill everyone here. I will kill everyone here if that doesn’t change.

MR: Easy, sir. Easy.

CRM: I can see it. The police are carrying my brother as if he is a pig. He doesn’t have anything to do with this. I will fire a warning shot. They should change what they’re doing. They’re doing the wrong thing.

MR: Please wait, sir. Calm down, Captain Rolando Mendoza

CRM: They’re treating my brother like a pig.

MR: Ok, calm down Captain, Capt. Rolando Mendoza. Let’s talk to PNP. Let’s call PNP to..

CRM: Release my brother or I will shoot one person here.

MR: Ok, we’re already talking to the police, Capt. Rolando Mendoza. Please calm down.

CRM: But I can see my brother. Why are they doing that to him? It’s only me who is guilty. He’s innocent. He’s innocent. Show me that you have released my brother. Show me. If not, I will shoot the people here. Tell them! Tell them!

MR: We’re already calling PNP.

CRM: Show me. Show me here by the left side of the bus. They should let my brother walk. If not, there will be chaos here.

MR: Yes sir. We’re already calling PNP. Please take it easy.

CRM: My brother is innocent. He doesn’t know anything about this.

MR: Yes sir. Calm down. We’re already coordinating with PNP. They’re also taking it easy on your brother now.

CRM: He is being carried by the police. He’s innocent. Why are they taking him away? They’ll say he is an accessory. He is not an accessory. I am the only one who did this.

MR: Capt, Captain Rolando Mendoza, please wait. We’re still trying to contact PNP so that they will also calm down.

CRM: I can see. I can see what they’re doing to my brother. He’s a policeman. He has nothing to do with this. He’s innocent. Set him free. If they don’t release him, I’ll shoot the person at the front. Tell them!

MR: Please wait sir, please wait.

CRM: Tell them!

MR: Calling the attention of PNP…if someone can please tell the PNP…

Erwin Tulfo: Michael, the PNP is behind me.

MR: Erwin…

CRM: Ask them why they’re treating my brother in that way. He’s innocent. He has nothing to do with this.

Erwin: Sir, who is your ground commander?

MR: Erwin is already talking to the police.

Erwin: You’re arresting the hostage taker’s brother, is that right?

CRM: I can see what’s happening to him, treating him like a pig. He’s innocent. He doesn’t know I was going to do this. He only found out through TV. Why are they treating him that way?

Erwin: You can see on TV that his brother is being arrested, SPO2…

CRM: Look, I can see that they’re still harassing him.

MR: Erwin, Erwin, please come closer to the police.

Erwin: yes, yes. I already spoke with them. Their ground commander already climbed up their ATR van.

CRM: If they don’t release my brother, I will shoot the person at the front of the bus.

MR: Erwin…

CRM: Tell them that I’ll give them 5 minutes.

MR: Yes.

CRM: I’ll only give them 5 minutes. You will hear a gunshot if they don’t release my brother.

MR: Please hurry Erwin. Please hurry.

CRM: 5 minutes.

Erwin: Here, I’m already talking to them. Please wait.

CRM: If this gets worse…he’s innocent. Because of what they did, things will worsen in here.

MR: Erwin, please go to the police so that this will just stop.

Erwin: Yes, ok. I’m already climbing here.

CRM: Look, I can see that someone is punching my brother and another is punching him from behind. Motherf***er. I will really shoot the person at the front of the bus.

MR: Please wait. Please calm down. Please calm down.

CRM: If they don’t release him!

MR: Capt, Capt. Rolando Mendoza

Erwin: Why did you arrest his brother?

CRM: Look! It’s the Colonel. Motherf***er! I will really shoot the person at the front!

MR: Wait, wait.

CRM: Tell them! Tell them!

MR: Wait, wait.

CRM: Release him!

Erwin: That’s what they’re saying..if you don’t release…

MR: Can we also please get Channel 2 at the same time? The PNP, the police, the police.

Erwin: It’s ok, it’s ok. They’re contacting headquarters…they’re taking caution because Capt. Rolando Mendoza can see..

CRM: They’re not going to release him? Motherf***er! I will start shooting here.

MR: Captain, Captain Rolando Mendoza, please wait.

CRM: Release my brother or I will start shooting here.

MR: Please don’t shoot Captain, Captain Rolando Mendoza. Erwin, please hurry up with the ground commander.

Erwin: I’m already talking to the ground commander.

CRM: Look, they’re placing handcuffs on him. If they don’t release him, I will start shooting the hostages one by one. Tell them.

MR: Captain, Captain Rolando Mendoza, we’re trying to help you.

CRM: No, they’re ignoring you.

MR: Erwin, Erwin, please approach the person-in-charge.

Erwin: Wait, wait…I’ll talk directly to the ground commander.

MR: Talk to the person-in-charge.

Erwin: Um, what is your answer to um..

CRM: If that mobile leaves with my brother inside, I’ll start shooting.

MR: Please wait.

CRM: I’ll shoot everyone.

MR: Capt, Capt. Rolando Mendoza

(gunshots fired, crying and screaming)

CRM: I told you.

MR: Erwin, did the police hear the gun shots?

Erwin: These motherf***ing operatives! I already told them!

MR: Capt, Captain Rolando Mendoza

(no one responds)

MR: Erwin, Erwin…what are the police doing now?

Erwin: It’s chaos here.

MR: Captain, Captain Rolando Mendoza…Seems like Captain Rolando Mendoza has dropped the phone.

(MR talks with other reporters)

MR: Captain, Captain Rolando Mendoza…

CRM: Tell them not to go near…leave…why do you arrest someone who is innocent? I’m the only one guilty here. I already shot two people here. If they don’t release my brother, I’ll shoot more people.

MR: Wait, please wait. Calm down. The two people you shot…are they, um… what are they?

CRM: I shot two Chinese nationals. If they don’t change the situation, I’ll shoot more people here.

MR: Please wait. Please calm down Captain Mendoza.

CRM: I’ll kill everyone here if they don’t stop running along the sides of the bus.

MR: Yes sir. We’re already talking with the PNP so that they’ll stop.

CRM: They should release my brother. Why are they…I am the only one who did this. Why did they arrest him when I was the one guilty? It’s me they should be arresting.

MR: Yes sir, Captain Mendoza

(call ended).

--------------

 

No comments:

Post a Comment