Monday, August 23, 2010

The Quirino Grandstand Hostage Drama: My Take

Ok, first of all this is MY take and MY opinion on the drama that transpired earlier tonight. If you don’t like anything that I said, leave a comment, correct me and then maybe we can have a healthy debate or you might just swing me over to your side.

Call me a sadist and mean but I think Senior Inspector Rolando Mendoza deserved to die. I know that it was his desperation that triggered him to do such a violent act. But he deserved to die because:

  • He brought shame to the country just by taking foreigners hostage. It wouldn’t be less despicable if he did it to his countrymen. It’s just that taking in foreigners as hostages endangers international relations that affect the whole country. What did those Chinese nationals do against him? NOTHING.
  • He killed Chinese nationals all because of his cause, that in my opinion, lacked cause.

Here’s the back story as to why he was dismissed in the first place: http://bit.ly/bD06ay

Turns out, he wasn’t exactly the good cop whose benefits were unjustly taken away that he’s being made out to be. He was sanctioned accordingly. He filed an appeal at the Office of the Ombudsman which is still unresolved as of writing. As to why it is still unresolved after all these years, we can just surmise that they were either too busy or just did not have enough manpower.

Rolando Mendoza might be idolizing Ducat too much, thinking he’ll get what Ducat did – fame and even hero-worshipped by some.

Call me mean again but I think his brother (the one who was arrested on the scene possibly because of conspiracy or that thing where you prevent policemen to do their job properly—sorry, I forget the term) and his family milked the drama for all it’s worth. I’m thinking if he did nothing wrong, why would he be scared? He’s being taken in front of media men who have cameras that broadcast it nationwide. He should’ve just gone quietly and cooperated. Besides, it is because they are brothers, he would be immediately be a suspect for conspiracy even if he had nothing to do with it.

Maybe he should have surrendered. Maybe he should’ve just asked for immunity and part of his benefits. I don’t know. I think anything would’ve been better than killing innocent people.

President Noy might have been apologizing to the Chinese government since it all started.

On the part of the police: you guys could’ve moved smarter and faster, you know. And I know we all can’t blame you for not having the tools and equipment and training needed to have overcome this drama much quicker. After all, the money that was supposed to be used have been stolen by the corrupt government officials. But I wish you were smarter in working what you had.

And I wish you had crowd control.

Let’s not forget this night. We trended worldwide on Twitter. Most of all, we should not forget the lessons we learned in order to avoid a similar event in the future.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment