Monday, August 2, 2010

Mongkok: Our New Fave Chinese Resto

My parents and I recently discovered Mongkok, this Chinese restaurant located in Glorietta 5.

My dad has been eyeing this place ever since he spotted it from across Starbucks in Glorietta 4. He said it kind of made him think about food from Hongkong. Take note, this was probably about 3 – 6 months ago.

Fast forward to last Sunday, July 25. Our first time to eat in this place. And just yesterday, August 1, we ate here again. And I surmise that if we were to watch another movie at Glorietta 4, this is where we will be eating next Sunday. Yes, we’re boring that way.

I’ve no yummy looking pictures to show not because I’m too lazy but because I’m a little stupid when it comes to transferring pictures from my Nokia 6120c to my Compaq laptop (I’m not endorsing anything, but yes, I like these brands and that’s why I have things from these brands).

But allow me to tell you that I enjoy their food while my parents both enjoy the food and the affordability it has.

Let’s see…On our first visit, we had:

  • Yangchow fried rice
  • Pork spare ribs
  • Seafood something (no, it’s not named “seafood something”, I just forgot the name).
  • Bottomless sjora for my dad
  • bottomless iced tea for me
  • jasmine tea
  • a bunch of steamed asparagus

All for the low price of less than P900 pesos. My dad was probably too happy and too surprised about the price that he gave the waiter a P100 tip (on a side note, this is one of the things I love about my dad. He’s a relatively great tipper). And this specific waiter was also probably happy to see us yesterday too as he was constantly checking up on us.

So on our second visit, we had:

  • jasmine tea
  • bottomless iced tea
  • steamed ampalaya (bitter melons) with garlic (surprisingly, being a hater of ampalaya, i really liked it)
  • beef something (had a really sweet sauce…went great with Yangchow)
  • Yangchow fried rice
  • broccoli flowers and shrimp (generous helping of shrimps, by the way)
  • 4 pieces of big fried dumplings

And our bill? P810, including VAT. No, nothing was missing on the bill. Mom gave our waiter another generous tip.

My parents commented on the freshness and quality of the food. I would have to agree that it really tasted good. In time, this will probably give North Park a run for their money. We’ll probably get some pancit next time.

So, if anyone out there would be interested to try out Mongkok, please do. Please make sure to bring family or friends, or eat alone, I don’t really care. If you’re in the mood for some good Chinese food, it’s the place you have to be.

 

1 comment:

  1. Seriously, you just incited my hankering for good Chinese food! lol.

    ReplyDelete